Skerries Town FC is a COMMUNITY CLUB formed from the amalgamation of three teams brought together over the course of 80 years.
Originally an adult team formed in 1932, called Skerries Celtic, this team changed into Skerries United in 1943 and remained in existence until late 1990.
In 1981 a separate schoolboy club, Skerries Home Celtic was formed to participate, principally in the Brenfer/ North Dublin Schoolboys League.
In 1991 under the initiative of Brian McDonough and Chad Duff, these 2 clubs combined their resources, following what became known as the "Hands across the Dublin Road" Agreement. Their new name was Skerries Town FC which flourishes to this day..In 1997 the then Irish president, Mary Robinson, officially opened our new clubhouse at Park Lane in Skerries. Around the same time Skerries Town FC won an award from the Leinster Senior League for being the Most Progressive Club of the Season.
The club reached an all time high achievement when the senior football team beat Monaghan United, from the League of Ireland, in the second round of the FAI Cup during the 2002/03 season, only to be knocked out by League of Ireland heavyweights, Bohemians FC, in Dalymount Park.
Other notable scalps included, a full strength Shamrock Rovers in a charity match in Park Lane; C'mon the Town.
You can read all the history of football in Skerries town in the beautifully compiled book "The Skerries Soccer History, a celebration of soccer 1932-2007". Available to purchase from our shop by clicking here.